Canadian engineering group SNC-Lavalin has secured two sub-contracts to support Scarborough gas field development project in Western Australia.
Under the contracts the company will provide front end engineering design support for the development of a floating production unit on the project, including work on the semi-submersible’s hull and moorings, model testing scoping and supervision, and ancillary scopes. SNC-Lavalin will also responsible for technical safety, formal safety assessment and risk engineering services for engineering design activities of Scarborough.
Both contract works will be carried out by the Canadian firm’s Houston Offshore Engineering subsidiary and its Atkins business based in Western Australia.
SNC-Lavalin Resources president Craig Muir said: “We are delighted to be able to demonstrate the breadth of our offshore oil & gas and project execution expertise to our clients globally following the acquisition of Atkins and its subsidiary Houston Offshore Engineering.
“Bringing together the floating platform design expertise of our Houston Offshore Engineering team with the renowned technical safety and risk engineering offered by our Atkins team in Perth, allows us to provide Scarborough with world class offshore engineering solutions, while meeting the scheduling demands critical to the success of this semi-submersible facility, the second of its kind in Australian waters.”
The scope of both contracts includes the option to extend to detailed design engineering, pending the final investment decision expected to be taken by the Scarborough Joint Venture (JV) in 2020.
Woodside operates the Scarborough gas resource with 75% stake. The remaining 25% interest is with BHP Billiton. Situated in the Carnarvon Basin, the field is estimated to host 7.3 Tcf (2C, 100%) of dry gas.
Initially, the Scarborough resource will be developed with seven high-rate, subsea gas wells. These wells will be tied back to a semi-submersible floating production unit moored nearby. The recovered gas will be transported to the onshore processing facility by a 430km-long pipeline.
Independent Oil and Gas awards Petrofac well management contract
Aker BP contracts remotely operated controls system
Mammoet signs contract for $21.3bn Arctic LNG 2 project in Russia
EthosEnergy awarded five year multi-million pound turbine maintenance contract by a major North Sea Operator